The station gates are front centre of the layout, just where people’s view is likely to rest between trains. This means the model would come under some close scrutiny and I decided to try and make it as near dead scale as I could. Fortunately, I’d previously experimented with increasing the size to add to the perceived recession, and settled on 50% over scale. Working at 6mm to the foot, between S-scale and 0-gauge, gave me the opportunity.
The materials I used were 0.45mm brass wire rails top and bottom, 10 thou and 0.45mm nickel end uprights, and 8thou nickel for all the remaining ironwork. The tricky part was filing 0.69mm wide strips (1 3/8” at 6mm/ft) of the 8thou nickel in laminated pairs, over two feet in total for both gates, and then getting all the horizontals to the same length to fit exactly in the prepared frame. The first time round I soldered the horizontals to one end of the frame before snipping to size, but this led to the other end not fitting too well.
For the second gate I first tacked the five horizontals together and cut and filed carefully to the required length, and sandwiched them between the uprights: that was much better.
I then added the middle upright and the diagonals, soldering only to the frame, snipping as I went along.
There are another six wooden gates to make, but this time out of plasticard.