Archive for June, 2014
Just before we went on holiday in the middle of the month I lengthened the siding in the station yard. I had earlier been reluctant to add another baseboard crossing, even though the siding looked short when compared with prototype photographs.
Unlike the main track, I decided to do the job properly and add droppers to the underside of the ply and rivet track before installation. Previously, I had soldered droppers to the rear (hidden side) of the rail after installation, and it gave me quite a few problems. It only takes a minute amount of extra solder to cause a derailment.
Having marked and drilled holes in the board, I then fed the droppers through and the small track panel followed. It’s quite fiddly with soldered track, but I now have a little more space to display stock at exhibitions.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
I have made the first part for 1649: the back-plate inside the rear of the panniers. This bolts to the cab front and is then totally hidden from view, which makes it a good part to start with.
1649 is one of the two “Dornoch Panniers” I’m making in a collaborative project with a more experienced member of the Devon Finescale Modellers Group. Rather than rush in to rivet a buffer beam (always a satisfying start to a loco), my first task was to check the use of Vee blocks in making a pannier, as in Guy Williams “The 4mm Engine”. The trial pannier is only 14mm long, but confirms that it’s possible to achieve the required external shape and dimensions.
And all this while PVA glue was setting in the station yard of Kyle of Sutherland.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )
This has been an interesting and varied month.
Apart from scenic work, I progressed the scratch body for 54458, and added a footplate blank to the growing list of scratch parts for 54495. These two Caledonian 4-4-0s are quite similar, and I found it as easy to make two parts rather than just the one for 54458.
On a visit to Railex at Aylesbury towards the end of the month, I had a scenic hands-on with Maggie Gravett learning new static grass skills and making garden and hedgerow flowers. Green Scene had a stand at the show, and I was able to buy enough material for Culrain’s needs.
The semi-finished platforms and loading bank were finally installed at the end of the month, leaving the toning colour washes to be done in situ. The footbridge, now minus those hugely over-scale lamp posts, plugs in to the platforms when needed.
And, at long last, almost one year since Kyle of Sutherland was last exhibited, I made a start on the scenic contours in the station yard.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )